Nav Bar

Me Me Me Me

4.03.2015

Four Things Friday | 9

I can't believe it's Friday already!  I've enjoyed having the week off of work.  I've gotten to travel, hang out with Kevin, spend time with family, catch up on blog things, etc.  This weekend, I'll have a little more family time and then it's back to work!

For Four Things Friday today, I'll share with you four places I'd rather be right now:

Northern Ireland | In 1997, my family decided to host a girl from Northern Ireland through the Children's Program of Northern Ireland.  CPNI is an organization that "aims to develop respectful relationships between children of all traditions in Northern Ireland through cross-community activities in both their own communities" and through their five-week summer stay with host families in Minnesota.  The program was originally designed to help young children in Northern Ireland escape the violence in their communities by staying with host families in Minnesota for the summer.  The first child we hosted was 11-year-old Patricia Ann, who grew up in a very rough part of Belfast.  She was such a sweet girl...very quiet and polite, but she had a silly side that came out towards the end of her stay with our family.  The next summer, we hosted 10-year-old Tara.  Tara and I became very fast friends - she had a fantastic sense of humor and fit into our family perfectly.  We hosted her again the following summer, and then the summer after that, her mom and sister came to stay with our family for 2 weeks.  We have lost touch with Patricia Ann, but are still in regular contact with Tara and her family via Facebook.  I would love to visit Northern Ireland and see where Patricia Ann and Tara grew up, and to get to hang out with Tara and her sister now that we're all adults.

Tara's family lived in Newtownards - check out this gorgeous view from Scrabo Tower!!

Greece | I have had a longstanding desire to travel to Greece.  I've always been utterly fascinated with Greek mythology, ancient Greek culture, the Wonders of the World in Greece, etc.  I would love to see some of the more modern areas of Greece as well.  I want to travel to Athens and see the Parthenon and the Acropolis, Mount Lycabettus, and the Temple of Poseidon.  I want to see the beautiful beaches and architecture on the islands of Mykonos and Santorini, and I want to try all kinds of Greek food.  I want to visit museums and archeological sites, see the ancient Greek theatres, and see what life is like for modern Greeks.

This iconic view of Santorini is one I absolutely want to experience for myself!

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter | I'm a complete diehard Potterhead, and I am dying to get myself to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!!  This probably sounds so ridiculous, but I have this feeling that if I were to go there, I'd probably wind up getting super emotional, haha.  Harry Potter is something that has been a huge part of my life for coming up on 20 years now, and to get to experience a bit of the universe of Harry Potter firsthand would be incredible.  I want to go to Hogsmeade and ride all the rides (The Dragon Challenge!!!), get a Quidditch jersey at Dervish and Banges, and get some wizarding sweets at Honeydukes.  I want to go to Diagon Alley and ride the Escape from Gringotts, eat at the Leaky Cauldron, and shop at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.  One of my best friends is also a Harry Potter nut, and we've talked before about traveling here together (and stopping at DisneyWorld while we're down in Florida, too, ha!).  It's gotta happen!!

If I saw this in person, I would probably just start weeping.

New Zealand | Now, if Harry Potter isn't up Kevin's alley, New Zealand definitely would be!  We've talked about traveling to New Zealand before...there is so much to see and do there!  We'd love to see where the Lord of the Rings movies were filmed, go white water rafting, see the unique wildlife in New Zealand, go whale watching, see the mud pools and geysers of Rotorua, etc.  There are so many gorgeous places to see and thrilling things to do - it's a trip that we'd really like to take some day!

Hobbiton!!!

Where do you have the itch to travel??

No comments: