Nav Bar

Me Me Me Me

2.11.2015

"Outfit" vs "Fomula"

Shirt / Tank / Leggings: Old Navy | Boots: Target | Scarf: Gift

I used to be a total "uniform" dresser.  I bought clothing in "outfits" and didn't remix my clothing much at all.  Certain cardigans were worn with certain tees, certain tops were worn with certain skirts, and that's about it.  Not much mixing and matching at all, and I had a very finite set of outfits that I would rotate between.  It wasn't until I started reading style blogs that I realized all of the benefits of having a mix-and-match wardrobe, and it was such a light bulb moment for me!

Now, I consider myself to be a "formula" dresser.  Instead of wearing the same exact outfits over and over again, I use similar elements in combinations that I know work to get dressed.  I've talked before (along with countless other bloggers) about what outfit formulas I use when I create outfits.  Some of my favorite work outfit formulas for this time of year include:

Dress + cardigan + tights + boots + jewelry/scarf (see here for a recent example)
Shirt + cardigan + skinny pants + boots + jewelry/scarf (see here for a recent example)

The outfit I'm wearing here, however, shows my frequently-worn weekend outfit formula: Tank + chambray + leggings + boots + scarf.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I wear a variation of this outfit every single weekend.  It works for a huge range of temperatures (I typically exchange the heavier scarf for a lighter scarf or necklace in warmer weather), I can switch up the look with different leggings (although these maroon leggings continue to be a weekend favorite!), I can wear any colored tank underneath the chambray for some variety, and I can wear knee-high boots like these or ankle boots (and sometimes even flats or TOMS when it's not snowy).  I also like that the outfit is casual and comfortable, but I can also go out in public to run errands, grab a bite to eat, see a movie, or spend time with friends wearing it as well.

Have any of you made the switch from being an "outfit" dresser to a "formula" dresser?  What's your favorite weekend outfit?

No comments: