Nav Bar

Me Me Me Me

8.27.2014

I Bought Something.

Skirt / Top: Lucky Brand, both thrifted | Sandals: Target

So, I've been doing a shopping freeze since June 1.  My main motivations for not shopping were to save money and to really be happy with what I already own.  Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had been doing wonderfully on my shopping freeze and hadn't bought a thing in three months (I haven't bought anything since mid-May, actually!).  I did make a stop into Goodwill a couple of weeks ago because I was in need of some summer shirts that could also be worn to work.  I gave myself a $20 budget.  I wound up trying on a ton of different things - dresses, skirts, pants, shirts - but wound up with only this cream shirt and a white v-neck tee in perfect condition.  The tops together cost me $4 apiece, which brings me to a total of $8 spent in three months.  Not too shabby, eh?

I'm feeling really proud of myself for making it three whole months without buying anything, and then sticking to items that I really did need to give me some options to wear to work (aside from this shirt, I honestly only had about three short-sleeved shirts that I feel comfortable wearing to work).  I still have no desire to go shopping, despite the fact that I live 5 minutes from a great outlet mall.  I do have some rewards at Old Navy/Gap that I need to use up before too long, but I'm planning to wait for some good sales and really figure out what it is that I need in my closet (jeans, I think...).  I also want to find a pair of black boots before it gets too cold, but I am waiting until we're into fall a little bit to make that purchase (as a reminder, a new pair of black boots is one of the exceptions that I am allowing myself to purchase this year).

I am estimating that in the last three months, by not spending money on clothing, I have saved around $350-$500 (or maybe even more...), based on previous months of shopping.  To me, that gives me the greatest source of motivation.  Knowing that that's $500 I have in my pocket to put towards student loans or rent is a wonderful feeling, and it makes me want to continue with my shopping freeze.  I'm pleasantly surprised that the freeze has been this easy for me.  I'm also happy to report that the freeze has, indeed, made me feel much happier with what I already own (so happy, in fact, that I'm going to be linking up with Anne in the next week or so to try a work capsule wardrobe...but stay tuned for that).

I'm linking up with Fran and the other budgeting bloggers!

No comments: