Nav Bar

Me Me Me Me

7.30.2014

20x30 | A Tender Post...

Top: Gap | Shorts: Old Navy | Sandals: Target | Necklace: Forever 21

When I was in college, I worked as an orientation leader, and then as a student coordinator for orientation.  I had a supervisor who quickly became a mentor of mine, and then a dear, dear friend.  She helped me through some of the biggest struggles I've faced in my life, and I'll forever be grateful for that.  In fact, she even officiated our wedding!

Right before my senior year of college, she and her husband had a baby girl, who I then nannied that whole school year.  We were very close, that little girl and I - I was her Auntie Brynn.  Kevin and I got married 3 weeks after graduation and moved 3 hours away, so I didn't get to see my mentor, her husband, or her daughter very much anymore.

For a year or two, I would come back and visit as often as I could, but it is hard when you live so far away.  5 years later, they have another daughter who just turned two, and I now live only an hour away from them.  My mentor asked if I would babysit the girls this past weekend.  I was so excited to spend time with the girls and see my mentor/friend again.  It was such a wonderful night, playing with the two sweet girls!!  Sigh :)  We ate dinner, walked to the park to play on the playground, and I got to do the same bedtime routine I did with the older daughter when I cared for her as a baby.

It warmed my heart to see bits and pieces of me in their house: the blanket I made for the older daughter as a baby gift draped on the rocker in her room, the "Q" I painted for her hanging on the door of her bedroom (her name starts with "Q"), the blanket I gave to the younger daughter when she was born that she carries with her everywhere, the photo of me and the oldest daughter when she was just a few months old displayed on a shelf with random family photos...  It all just made me so happy.

[And yes, I'm fully aware that I'm a total sap.]

No comments: