Nav Bar

Me Me Me Me

7.28.2013

Budgeting Bloggers: July

You guys, this was a really, really, really bad month.  Like really bad.  I'm ashamed and I really don't want to write this post.  I do want to be transparent though and process my spending.  Here is the damage:



Old Navy
Neon green sleeveless blouse: $10 - I don't love neon, but this bright green top really spoke to me!  It's so vibrant and comfortable and soft.  I love how it fits me and it goes with all my neutral cardigans, sweaters, blazers, etc.
Cobalt sleeveless blouse: $10 - I'm loving cobalt lately as well, so I picked up the same top in cobalt.
Light blue vintage tee: $7.50 - I bought this to replace an old blue tee that got stretched out, but I really don't wear many tees these days, so I'll likely return this.
Gray vintage tee: $7.50 - Same as the light blue tee above.  I'm not smitten with these tees yet so I'll probably return them.
Blue layering tank: $5 - I bought this to replace a navy camisole that is worn out and gross.
Green layering tank: $5 - I like the color of this, but I'm not sure I would wear it enough to keep it around.  Since I'm so over budget, this is likely going back with the vintage tees.
Navy floral blouse: $8 - I have way too many solid colored short-sleeved tops, and I've been looking for a cute floral printed top for ages.  I loved this one, and it fit me so well!
Purple button up: $10 - I'm really into button-ups these days, and this one fit me and didn't pull in the bust or stomach.  The light purple is springy and pretty, and I think it will be a great addition to my closet!
Coral tank: $5 - Yep, I'm still having a love affair with coral.  My coral tee has a hole in it, and I wanted to replace it with another coral top.  This one is so freaking cute and I can't wait to wear it when my 30x30 is done!
Blue polka dot sweater: $2 - I have the same one in pink polka dots and I absolutely love it.  It's thick without being bulky, but light enough to wear in the fall.  The price couldn't have been better, either!
Headbands: $10 - All of my previous headbands have been broken - literally all within a couple months of each other - and I love wearing headbands with my short hair!

Target
Black lace top: $16 - I saw on Audrey and immediately fell in love, but after trying it one with my pants and skirts, I fear it is too short for me.  I will probably return this, and I'm really sad about it.
Navy and mint top: $8 - I have been stalking this top forever and was so excited to see it on sale!
Ivory tank: $15 - I have another top in this color and adore it, but it has shrunk and not worn well over many washings.  I love this top and how it's sheer at the top!  It's a little longer, too, which I really like.
Navy lace dress: $5 - Yes, I have a problem...I love lace dresses, and this one looks amazing on me.  It was an online return and was only $5!
Gold and cognac sandals: $8 - Most of my sandals are a few years old and I wear them all the time.  They're getting icky and worn so I decided to replace a pair with these sandals I've been seeing on bloggers all summer.  They are so darn cute and the price was great.

Gap
Swiss dot henley: $22 - I have been looking for a white popover for a while.  This one is kind of sheer, and I am a little bit on the fence (I love that it's collarless and the texture is awesome).  I'm going to try to make a few outfits with the things I have right now and see how it works out.  If I don't love it, I'll return it.
Navy blazer: $50 - I've had a navy blazer on my wishlist for AGES and I have finally found one!  It was the only one on the sale rack, in my size, and was nearly 50% off.  It is perfect for me!!
Polka dot jeans: $12 - I have heard great things about Gap jeans, but haven't had a pair since I was about 14 years old.  I gave these a shot and love how they fit me.  The polka dots are darling, too!  I can't wait for you to see them (I couldn't find a picture online).
Patterned crops: $12 - These pants look incredible on me.  I love the pattern.  I've been so on the fence about patterned pants forever, but these are amazing and I can't wait to wear them to my internship and work!

LOFT
White skirt: $23 - This was my first time in LOFT.  They were having amazing sales this weekend and I have been looking for elastic waist skirts with pockets (they look the best on me).  This white one fits the bill, and my mom was so kind and offered to buy it for me.  Thanks Mom!!
Floral shorts: $9 - These didn't make it onto the collage (oops) but I absolutely love them.  Andi has them and I remembered how darling they were on her.  When I saw them on final sale at LOFT for $9, I had to get them!  I can't wait to wear these!!

Other
TOMS pink wedges: $40
TOMS navy wedges: $40
These were a deal on Zulily.  I have wanted a pair of these strappy wedges for so long, and while they are adorable, they are a little snug on my feet and I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of them.  The pink ones were definitely more comfortable, and I'm going to try to break them in a little bit (I think they'll stretch out a bit).  Since I can't return back to Zulily, I'm thinking about potentially selling them on eBay if they don't work out for me.  I'm super bummed that they aren't as perfect as what I was expecting.

Grand total: $317 (OMG OUCH)

With the things I'm planning to return, my updated total will be about $200, which is still super over budget.  I also have several huge Ikea bags full of clothes to sell or donate (yep, I said that last month too but with my busy schedule I wasn't able to fit it in).  I'm hoping that will offset some of my spending.  I'm also still using a "one in, one out" rule, in which I get rid of one item in my closet for every new item I add.  I'm getting low on pieces in my closet that I actually do want to get rid of, so that's going to help me slow down my spending too.  It feels good to have a wardrobe that I'm so happy with.

Despite the ridiculous amount of money I spent this month, I do feel pretty good about the things that I bought.  I'm genuinely excited about the pieces I'm keeping, and I can wear most, if not all, of the pieces to work and my internship.  Many of the things I have had on my wishlist forever, I just lucked out this month and was able to find and purchase so many of them at once.

All that being said, though, I'm not spending anything in August (at least).  I mean it this time.  I don't need anything right now, and I struggle with self-control (which is also why it's probably so hard for me to lose weight...).  Kevin and I would love to visit my dear friend Casey and her husband in South Carolina, and I could easily be saving my money for a plane ticket to see them.  I won't be working as many hours this upcoming school year, so my income will be cut in half as well.  I guess it's all about making choices...adulthood is so fun.

So, yep, that's my plan.  I'm pretty much mortified by my spending right now, and I'm ready to make a change.  I just need to stay strong...here we go.

I'm linking up with Franish and the other budgeting bloggers.

No comments: